My Trip to Japan: Day 7 My Departure : (

So we got up pretty early and we may or may not have eaten breakfast together.  I kind of forgot heh.  Then we went to the train station, and I actually got to see what rush hour on the trains looks like.  The train going into the heart of Tokyo was packed and people had to be really careful when the doors started to close because they were so close to the edge.  Luckily our train wasn’t that bad because we were going away from Tokyo to Narita.  Unfortunately we had to contend with a large suitcase and I felt a little bad because it got in the way a few times.

We changed trains at one point and at that train station I bumped into a guy, who after looking up at me started to apologize profusely.  I added this in because it was the second time I really felt kind of out of place there.  I’m just the big ol’ rude American please excuse me heh heh.  So we got to Narita airport while Shun napped beside me.  That’s something awesome about the train system in Japan.  It is so on time you can look up your arrival time, set the alarm on your phone, and nap.  Shun says it always wakes him up just before his stop.

Anyway, we realized we were a little bit early for my flight so we went to a sushi place to eat.  It was pretty cool because the sushi was put on a conveyor belt and if it wasn’t on there, you ordered it and the sushi chef would make it (he was in the middle of the circle made by the conveyor belt) and put it on there for you.  I tried several different kinds including salmon roe, tuna, salmon, eel, and octopus to name a few.  I didn’t realize it at first though, but they put the wasabi on the sushi for you and it hurt quite a bit on my first piece of sushi.  But at least the beauty of wasabi is it only hurts for a couple of seconds, even if those seconds are terrible terrible seconds.  It was also neat because there was a tap at each place at the sushi bar with hot water.  There was matcha as well so that you could make your own green tea.

After that we went to a couple of different shops because Shun, being the nice person that he is, wanted to buy some things for a couple of my friends and family members.  I also bought a green tea kit kat for the road (or air I guess).  Then it was about time for me to go through security, so after lots ‘o hugs and kisses he made me go.  After some mild confusion I found my gate and my plane and did some reading before they started boarding.  The plan ride was long, and I mostly watched movies again.  Only this time I watched some Japanese films.  One was mildly depressing, but I suppose it had a happy ending.  I don’t remember the name of it though, so I can’t find a trailer.  Oh well…

I thought it was neat that the flight attendants on the flight there spoke only English to me, but on the way back they spoke mostly Japanese to me.  I guess they assumed since I was flying from Japan and maybe I could speak Japanese.  I answered them in Japanese though, so maybe I passed heh heh.  I also had more room this time because the plane was no where near full and the middle seat was empty. We had to circle for about an hour over Chicago before we could land, which didn’t give me a whole lot of time to make my connection.  I again, got a bit lost in the airport and asked for directions.  Then I got irritated because I couldn’t walk down the escalator because everyone was standing all willy nilly on it.  (In Japan people stand on the left and walk on the right).  But luckily I made it.  I probably slept more on that flight than I did the 11 hour one before, even though it was more turbulent, but it was probably because I was super tired at that point.

When I got to Atlanta they put my bag on a later flight because I guess they didn’t have enough time to put it on mine.  That would have been fine except I was really tired and grumpy at that point.  But it was only a couple hour wait for the next flight so we decided to go eat lunch at Ruby Tuesday and just pick up my luggage.  It was probably for the best.  Although I did find another reason I miss Japan.  As I’ve probably already mentioned, Japan has awesome public restrooms.  The doors have no cracks, the toilets can do just about anything, the seats are warm, etc.  Well both of the doors to the stalls of the toilet at Ruby Tuesday were broken, so I had to hold the door to prevent any chance of embarrassment, the seat was freezing, and the toilet paper (while there was plenty on the roll) almost refused to come out.  I know most public restrooms here are fine, but that was just a bad one to go to after getting spoiled like that.  After that I got my baggage, came home, unpacked, and went to bed to prepare for Black Friday the next day.

Now that I have been out of country I wonder why more people haven’t done it. (aside from money of course).  It is a life changing experience and I want to go to so many other places, as well as back to Japan.  Maybe it’s just my love for other languages and cultures, but it was truly one of the best things I have ever done in my life!

And also a special thanks to Shunsuke, who showed me around and made my first experience out of southern United States a wonderful one!!!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: