January 13, 2013: It was a Hard Day’s Night

So this weekend has been a pretty good adventure, but nothing too exotic as I mostly stayed in the Erlangen area.  There was a decent amount of juggling, hooping, and even fire poi, the last being something I could only watch seeing as my brain can’t quite translate the inner workings of poi to something my arms can do.  If I were to add fire to the equation, well, let’s just say that I would be visiting the hospital here again all too soon.  Although it was quite cold, I did really enjoy watching my friends enchant passers-by with their spinning flames.  It made me almost wish I had a fire hoop, but then I remember how many times I’ve accidentally slung my hoop sans flames and decide that maybe I should stick to LED if I want something pretty.

Then Saturday, which upon reflection was quite the eventful day indeed, I started by riding my bike with a friend all the way to Fürth, which for those of you who don’t know, it’s a bit over 15 km from Erlangen.  Originally the plan was to bike, then after looking at the weather we were a bit skeptical that it wouldn’t rain on us.  That’s about the the time we decided to just take a train.  But by the time we got to the train station we felt a bit more optimistic.  So, we turned around and began our long journey.  Now the google map directions looked quite intimidating with something like 27 different steps.  However, it actually wasn’t all that complicated.  Germany just has this habit of roads changing names pretty often and for no particular reason.  It should have taken about an hour to ride there, but we ended up taking about and hour and 45 minutes because we stopped so often to make sure we were on track still.  It was nice though, just a bit chilly.  I would love to do it again in the spring when things are a bit less gray.

Sadly we never made it to our final destination in Fürth (the American food store).  We were maybe two minutes away when I look back to check on my friend only to find that the front part of her bike has fallen to pieces.  I am not entirely sure what happened to warrant such an epic fail, but the point is that the bike would no longer roll due to the fact that the front plate covering the wheel and come loose and proceeded to reattach itself to the wheel of her bike.  This meant we had to take the wheel off in order to get the plate off and possibly have a chance of limping it back to the train station where we could return to Erlangen.  The funniest part of all this is the fact that there were two guys in a truck watching us the entire time, eating and pointing as we struggled with our meager muscle mass and never once offering us any sort of help.  Finally an older man craned his neck out of his upper story apartment to see what all the commotion was about and then yelled to another man, who I can only assume what his son or at least acquaintance, to help us.  I am pretty glad he did because there was no way we were going to get that wheel off on our own.

After finally managing to get to the train station and riding back, we decided to eat some dinner.  We mostly just chatted for a bit after that, so it was nice and relaxing.  But that is not the end of my day.  At about 9:30 I met some people and we went to one of the Irish pubs in Erlangen.  It was really nice with the live Irish music, but it was sadly a bit crowded.  We managed to get some seats after a bit and we just talked and enjoyed the music.  After awhile we decided to go to another Irish pub, which ended up being a bit less crowded, but there was live music there as well.  It was pretty nice and everyone was pretty friendly.  Drunk yes, but at least they were all pretty happy about it.  There was a sort of almost fight between friends, but the manager got in there and cooled things down quite a bit.  At some point though, we must have entered a time warp because before I knew it, it was around 6:00 in the morning.  Amazingly enough we all made it back home safely and before the sun rose.

As for Sunday, much of it was spent in bed nursing a hangover.  I think 23 is about the age where your body really starts to punish you for late night fun.  I spent most of the time either feeling like I was going to toss my cookies or hating the sun for existing as it peeked through the large gap in my curtains.  Oh well, it was fun and I think totally worth it.  I did managed later in the afternoon to meet some friends in the Schlosspark to do some hooping.  There were a decent amount of people there doing all sorts of other things, most notably walking/bouncing on these cable lines.  It was fun, but I wasn’t really performing at peak levels due to the night before.

Other than that it has been a lot of reading and watching That Mitchell and Webb Look on youtube.  British tv never ceases to entertain me.  On that note, I would like to share a sketch that I watched the other day which was totally my reaction to realizing that when people write ‘x’ after things, it’s not a typo, it’s a kiss.  I know, potato.  I did know that it could mean kisses, but I’ve only ever seen it written with ‘o’s and only really either jokingly or by small children.  Anyway I laughed a good bit so maybe you will too.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: